Ask any trainer or nutrition professional and 90% of them will sight “poor self-control” or “no willpower” as the reason people fail diet after diet. And they wouldn’t be completely wrong, except it’s not exactly what they think, because poor self-control when it comes to nutrition and exercise is not something you just have or you don’t. It isn’t a genetic preset. It’s a skill that’s developed (or not) over time, and around food.
One of my favorite quotes from Dr. John Berardi is, “Everyone is motivated; they just may not be motivated to eat clean.” This is true. Just because someone doesn’t seem to be able to control their eating doesn’t mean they aren’t very disciplined in their job or family life. However, if you want to get and stay lean, you need to begin to develop willpower around your eating & exercise.
Willpower is a practice, which is why ME calls it “skill power” instead.
Certain behaviors train willpower while others do not. One key willpower development technique is surrounding yourself with people who are disciplined. It’s like strategic peer pressure, nudging you when it gets hard to do on your own. It’s the same concept as getting a training partner who is slightly more advanced, or hiring a business coach to help you take your career to the next level.
Surrounding yourself with people who have succeeded in losing fat and continue to live the fat loss lifestyle is the #1 thing you need to attain and maintain fat loss. More than anything, it trains discipline and self-control.
This same concept of camaraderie is evident in group fitness classes or support groups. Participants are 10x more likely to stay engaged in the process IF they have others who hold them accountable.
Unfortunately, many of us feel alone on our fitness journeys. We feel like everyone around us wants to sabotage our efforts and we can never get a leg up. I get it. In today’s society, you need to actively try to stay thin. And not only that, you have to work pretty darn hard at it. But what if instead it became a faux pas to NOT be healthy?
You may or may not have heard of the phrase, You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with. This is a great reminder that if we want to get and stay lean, we need to surround ourselves with those whose goals are the same.
Having a group and community in which we can engage with people who have mastered the fat loss lifestyle, we begin training our own self-discipline by proxy, to where we become the masters ourselves.
5 Steps to Mastering Your Fat Loss Support Team:
- Be honest with where you are starting out. Put yourself out there for the group (and more importantly, for yourself) to see where you are, so you can start mapping out where you want to go.
- Find who’s doing what you want to do, and ask them how they’re doing it. This is one of the main reasons to hire a coach or mentor. The same holds true for fat loss. Who are your fat loss mentors? Seek them out and pick their brain.
- Practice fat loss behaviors. The days of all-or-nothing, crash dieting are over. People are fed up with the yo-yoing scene. Right now it is all about sustainable fat loss, and how to live a lean lifestyle forever. Which means giving up the idea of needing to be perfect, and settling for consistent and improving progress.
- Stay accountable to your coach and to your group. We recommend monthly, if not weekly check-ins on how you’re doing—how are hunger, energy, cravings, workouts, nutrition compliance, etc. You might be used to doing this internally, but there’s power in putting it out to the group.
- Ask for help with your struggles. Pulling from the years of experience and knowledge in a group setting beats sitting at home trying to figure it out all by yourself. USE the collective knowledge of the group to find and incorporate fat loss shortcuts.
The power of a group when it comes to fat loss—attaining and maintaining—has been documented in research. There’s a unique power in groups, and the accountability provided can hasten your personal willpower journey. Surround yourself with those doing it better than you, and jump right in. You don’t have to be alone in your struggle ever again.
Ready to jump in? Metabolic Effect’s on-going fat loss coaching & accountability program is open now! The ME Lifestylers Membership is a once-in-a-lifetime oppprtunity to work with ME fat loss & doctors coaches through online programs and community interaction. We’ve never offered something like this before! Register before December 31st to lock in at our discounted rate forever! Go here for all the details.